The news that the Open University plans to close seven out of its thirteen regional centres in England made the national media. In the wake of this, various Open University staff have written some insightful pieces on what goes on at the regional centres.
They certainly opened my eyes.
I recommend that you do some reading around before forming an opinion.
- Don’t close our regional centres, by Chris Douce
- Collaboration, knowledge-sharing and creativity: A snapshot of the OU’s Bristol regional centre, by Tony Coughlan
- In praise of Open University people, by Ray Corrigan
- Losing our presence, by Andrew Smith
- UK Open University plans mass closure of regional call centres, by Cory Doctorow
- ‘This change will be the end of the Open University as we know it’, Harriet Swain in the Guardian